While going through some scrapbooks, I came across some history written by Cordell's Mother, Melvina. I think she was helping Cordell with an assignment from church to write something about himself to put in his Book of Remembrance.
The following is written in her words: (Cordell with Herman and Melvina, far right above)
"The year of 1947 was an outstanding year in the Christian Fonnesbeck family. There were four grandchildren born to him. (Much like 2002 for the Cordell Fonnesbeck family!) Two boys boys and two girls were born within a month of each other. I was one of the lucky boys born on September 10, 1947. Their parents were all living on farms at Howell, Utah, a little farming community, 25 miles west of Tremonton, Utah. I was born in the Budge Memorial Hospital. Aunt Arlene took my mother to the hospital. My Mother was staying in Hyrum at the home of my grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Larsen. My father had gone back to the farm to take care of the chores and be with Melvin and Deanna who were attending the Howell School. I weighed 9 pounds, 2 ounces and measured 23-3/4 inches. Dr. Barlow said my length was unusual. Christi Fonnesbeck, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Verdun Fonnesbeck, Micheal Fonnesbeck, son of Mr. and Mrs. Stanford Fonnesbeck, Marcia, Daughter of Mr. and Mrs Paul Fonnesbeck and myself were all blessed the same Sunday . Howell Ward was meeting in the the Howell schoolhouse because the church had previously burned down.
September, 1952, my family moved to Logan, Utah. I was enrolled in the kindergarten at the Woodruff School. My teacher was Lucile Burgoyne. Each afternoon I walked to school with Madge Baughman. (This became a future subject of teasing by Cordell's older brothers about her being his girlfriend!) Myrtle Jacques was my first grade teacher and she was wonderful. She had known the Fonnesbeck family all her life. Miss Laron Christiansen was the teacher in the second grade and I enjoyed it very much. I hated Mrs. Swendiman for my teacher in the third grade. (I remember this teacher. I had her in another school for the 2nd grade. I'll have to check my records! She had long, pointed red fingernails and red lips and she used those fingernails. She put fear into the classroom!- comment by Pat) Bessie Hendricks was a favorite teacher in the the fourth grade and she was sure everyone knew their times tables before they left her grade. She was an outstanding teacher. I won the marble tournament this year. My fifth grade teacher was Leroy Barney and I didn't hit it off too good with him. This year, sixth grade teacher is Eyre Turner and I am enjoying it very much."
This next entry is most likely meant for the time period before starting school, or half-day kindergarten:
"After Forrest started school, I was very lonesome and had a hard time playing by myself. Whenever my mother did any cooking or baking, I would pull my stool over to the cabinet. She would always let me help measure out ingredients for cakes or pies or whatever she was making and put them in the mix-master. Forrest, Karen and I always had a happy time playing together. My father owned an old wheat combine and we spent many joyous hours using it for a slippery slide. We played house on stacks of old lumber. Each year the Easter Bunny would leave us eggs and all sorts of goodies hidden around the shrub trees and on the lawn of our big yard."
In Cordell's own writing:
"We had a horse we called Smokey. My oldest brother, Melvin, broke it for our family to ride. It was a very gentle horse. Myself, Karen and Forest used to pile on it and ride out in the fields playing cowboys. When our friends came down to our farm we would play hide and seek. I would crawl through a pipe and hide and they would never find me."
Melvina's writing: (Cordell is on far left with Mike, Christi, and Marcia)
This was an impressive day. Four little smiling cousins who were born within a month of each other in 1947 were baptized October 5, 1955, at Garland, Utah, by Melvin H. Fonnesbeck, eldest brother of Cordell and cousin of Micheal, Marcia and Christi Fonnesbeck, The baptismal font was in the Garland Tabernacle. The meeting held before was under the direction of Owen Josephson, the Bishop of the Plymouth Ward and it was very inspirational. All of Cordell's family attended this important event and will be remembered by all. The next day all were confirmed members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at fast meeting held in the Howell Ward, Howell, Utah."
I also found a Christmas letter written by Dusty to Cordell in 1983. We were both 36 and in Casper and it contains some family history as remembered by Dusty:
"I remember sleeping in the little back room on Marindale, with you having Dad's old Wyler illuminated dial watch on so we could see what time it was on Christmas morning. I even remember getting up once way too early because you had the watch on upside down. I can recall some gifts we shared together-- a new basketball, an army-navy set, lincoln logs, etc. I thought you were pretty smart when you got that microscope one year, and I also recall you peeling off the JC Penney sticker from your white high top gym shoes. To top it off, I remember that several years later you wrapped up sort of a 'natural' gift---one of Brandon's dirty diapers!
Still, all the fun, teasing, trickery and hassle you gave me was worth it. I sincerely miss not being geographically closer to you and your family. I have always been proud to be my brothers and sisters' youngest brother. Whether you know it or not, your actions always influenced me. I have always appreciated the way you looked out for me when we were kids. While I never did fill your shoes as an athlete, it was fun trying. I'll never forget your pride and determination in athletics-- it was so fantastic to see you shoot in those last second shots at Davis High and against Box Elder in '65. You took control and the lesson was not lost on me.
.....I am glad that we spent those Christmas mornings together and no one was more excited to have someone home for holidays that I was in December of 1966. You'd only been gone about six weeks, but to me it was like an eternity. You were short-haired, thin and tired---but you were HOME!! (He was coming home from basic training in the Army and had pneumonia.) To me that was one of the best Christmases ever." (It was one of the best Christmases for me, (Pat) also. Cordell was the love of my life and we got engaged that Christmas!)
I am sure there will be more stories to follow about your Dad and Grandpa, but this was a good start to set the stage for his life. Enjoy!
I love being a Grandma. One of the greatest desires of my heart is for our children and grandchildren to know about their ancestors. I have drawn strength in my life from the recorded stories of those who have gone before. I would love for each member of our family to have access to the same histories that have been a part of the lives of their parents and grandparents.
Both sides of our family--our ancestors-- are comprised of men and women of strength, faith and courage. They each have individual talents and abilities, are definitely human and have had a part in the formation of the Cordell and Patricia Nelson Fonnesbeck Family. We hope that each of you may see a piece of yourself in someone in the stories that are told and feel a connection with the family members that have gone before, and who we will be reunited with someday.


The girls and I sure enjoyed reading your new post this morning! Keep it up! Love, Kim
ReplyDeleteI am happy that you are enjoying the stories!
ReplyDelete